The concern about dental health is not only about having healthy teeth and a healthy mouth. It’s a fact that the body is an inter-connected system, so it makes sense that poor dental health can spill over into poor overall health.
In fact there has been significant research links from poor dental health to:
- respiratory diseases
- serious infections
- heart disease
- women delivering pre-term, low birth rate babies
Beyond these serious health issues there are several more common issues linked to poor oral health:
- damage to your appearance and self-esteem,
- sleeping problems,
- behavioural and developmental problems in children
- and even your ability to chew and digest food properly.
No wonder our dental team at Downtown Nanaimo Dental Group is so passionate about proper dental cleaning and dental maintenance!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Brush and floss your teeth daily (yep, floss too!).
- Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse; it can help to reduce the bacteria in your mouth. It is possible to have gum disease and not even know it. The signs of gum disease are bleeding gum, receding gum and bad breath.
- Visit your dentist regularly to have your mouth examined and don’t wait for problems to see your dentist
- Eat a healthy diet according to Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide.
- Do not smoke. If you do smoke, make sure to visit your dental hygienist regularly.
- If you are pregnant, take especial care of your diet and oral health
- Brush your children’s teeth for them, until they are able to write (not print) their own name. They should then be able to brush their own teeth with your guidance
It’s important to note that most extended health dental plans provide coverage for regular dental check ups and cleanings –usually every 6 months for children and 9 months for adults. If you have a gum problem, you may need to visit Downtown Nanaimo Dental Group to have your teeth cleaned by hygienist every 3-4 months until your condition resolves. This small investment is worth it considering the irreparable damage gum disease can cause.
Be sure to check your policy and maximize your trips to Downtown Nanaimo Dental Group for regular hygiene and check-ups by letting our dental reception know that you’d like to receive a reminder. We’re happy to provide any extra service that keeps you smiling. Book an appointment today.
Here are a few more good articles to read on the subject of dental health: