Are you new to Nanaimo and wondering, “How do I find a dentist near me?” It’s great that you’re thinking about this now rather than when a toothache or emergency occurs. It is recommended that you find a dentist as soon as you move to a new area.
Choosing a dentist and taking care of your oral health is a personal decision. You want a dentist you can talk to, learn from and feel good about visiting. These are some ideas from the Canadian Dental Association on how to find a new dentist:
- Recommendations – Ask around. Friends, relatives, co-workers, neighbours, other group members, your physician or your pharmacist may be able to help.
- Referral – See if your current dentist can suggest someone in your new area.
- Professional listings – Contact your provincial or territorial regulatory authority or dental association. Many association websites have a dentist locator or dentist directory.
You and your dentist will be long-term oral health care partners; therefore, you should find someone you can be comfortable with. To find a suitable dentist to meet your needs, the following 4 factors are essential: convenience, the dental office, the dentist, specialization:
Since going to the dentist is an ongoing commitment that will happen regularly, perhaps over many years, you’ll want to consider the following:
- Is the location convenient?
- How long does it usually take to get an appointment?
- Do the office hours work well with your schedule?
- What happens if you have an emergency or need after-hours care?
- What payment options are available?
- If you have children, will the dentist see them too?
- Ask about any concerns you or your family may have, e.g., does the dentist have experience with special needs children, people with HIV/AIDS or people with diabetes?
At Downtown Nanaimo Dental Group, we are conveniently located downtown and offer plenty of free parking at the clinic. We have extended hours on Thursdays for people who work during the day and find it difficult to get time off work to attend a dental appointment. We like to take care of your whole family and are happy to work with children of all ages. We accept a variety of payment methods and offer financing options where applicable.
It is recommended that you call or visit more than one dentist before selecting one.
When visiting a dentist’s office, consider the following factors:
- Does the office appear to be clean, neat, and orderly? Do all surfaces and equipment in the treatment room appear clean?
- Is the dental staff helpful and willing to answer your questions?
- Do you observe the dentist and staff wearing gloves and other protective gear during actual patient treatment?
You’ll find the staff at Downtown Dental Group extremely friendly and helpful. Check out some of our testimonials and see our Downtown Nanaimo Dental Group Facebook page to get a better sense of this! Our clinic is very organized and we go above and beyond to provide a safe and comfortable dental experience – including digital x-rays, mercury-free fillings, dental freezing reversal and more.
We also go above and beyond to provide services with a personal touch. For example, we provide a pillow and blanket as an option for patients, coffee and beverages for busy moms and dads to relax while their family is getting dental work done and wifi and live TV in treatment and waiting rooms to catch up on news and sports updates.
The dentist and staff
It’s important to consider the personality and values of the dentist. You want to make sure you are on the same page in key areas. Consider the following:
- Does the dentist answer your questions clearly?
- Does the dentist explain your options for treatment?
- Does the dentist tell you what the all the costs will be before you start treatment?
- If you’re nervous about dental procedures, is the dentist comfortable working with that?
Dr. Mahara will patiently explain all treatment plans and make sure you understand your options. The cost of treatment is always clearly outlined in any treatment plan. Dr. Mahara has helped many patients who suffer from dental anxiety through good practices and, when appropriate, through sedation dentistry.
Dr. Mahara and his team are dedicated to ongoing professional development and advanced technology to bring you the very best that dentistry has to offer. The team is proud to offer CEREC, same day crowns, Invisalign with digital impressions, smile makeovers and cosmetic dentistry, sleep apnea dental, treatment for TMD, also known as Neuromuscular dentistry and more.
Contact us today to learn more about Downtown Nanaimo Dental Group!